Using complaints procedures to achieve better outcomes for our clients
Title: Complaints Caseworker Support Volunteer
Reports to: Volunteer Manager/Complaints caseworker
Time Commitment: 2 days a week Monday to Friday.
Location: Z2K offices in Victoria or Queens Park
Closing Date: 26th May at 5pm
Purpose: To provide assistance to our full-time caseworker who manages our Right First Time complaints project. The purpose of the volunteering roles is to assist with the promotion and liaison with other advice agencies and organisations, handle basic complaints again social welfare and housing services, follow up on outstanding cases, collate monitoring information and provide ideas and feedback on complaint responses.
The role of the Right First Time project is to identify cases of mal administration for people
accessing social welfare and housing services. Raising it with government departments to
ensure that the same mistakes are not repeated. The role would be a great opportunity to gain experience both in advice and policy sector. It would suit someone with a law degree, as in depth research is often required to establish whether DWP and Local Authorities have applied legislation and regulations correctly.
1. Overall task is to provide support and assistance to the casework team in particular:
- Receive details of a client referred to the service and make contact to offer support
in accordance with Z2K policies
- Write complaints to the DWP, Council and HMRC & liaise with external agencies on
the client’s behalf
- Make telephone calls and/or write letters
- Keep the client informed about the progress of their case
- Complete accurate attendance notes after each task
- Ensure the file is always kept neat, tidy and up to date
- Research and compile a database of advice agency organisations
- Assist in the promotion of the project
- Research Information in order to add additional support to complaints
- Identify policy issues and feedback to team members
- Identify themes of complaints and report to Complaint Caseworker
- General administration duties
2. Provide the Complaints caseworker with updates on all tasks undertaken with, or on
behalf of, the client.
3. Make sure that all correspondence including substantive emails is first checked by the
Complaints caseworker or other supervisor before sending it.
4. Attend volunteer meetings, training events and supervision sessions in accordance with
Z2K’s policies and procedures.
1. Good knowledge of social welfare and housing law.
2. Good analytical skills
3. Excellent written Skills
4. Ability to spot policy issues, passing them on the policy team.
5. Good client care skills and the ability to undertake in depth interviews.
6. Ability to carry out accurate research.
7. Ability to use case management software specifically Salesforce and Microsoft Office
Interested applicants should complete our volunteer expression of interest form, attaching a CV and cover letter. All candidates will be contacted within one week of receipt application with a view to organising an interview.